There have been so many projects announced in cellulosic ethanol in the past five years, it’s hard to keep count. But the list of projects that have completed construction at commercial scale, and publicly established the financial structures for deployment at scale — that’s a list of one, Beta Renewables.
Though the project is tucked away in Crescentino, Italy — it has attracted a steady stream of visitors looking to see what “steel in the ground” really looks like: in a word, massive. A signature investment by Novozymes this year — who probably have seen almost every technology out there — tell us a lot of what we need to know about the company’s prospects.
READ MORE: All about the project, here.
The Complete 2012 Biofuels Digest Awards
Best Project – Thermochemical
Best Project – Fermentation
Best Project – Hybrid
Best Project (demonstration)
Best Project (pilot)
Best Technology Extension
Best New Fuel
New Feedstock (Demonstration)
New Feedstock (Trial)
Consumer Product of the Year (biobased)
Consumer Product of the Year (biofuels)
Partnership of the Year
Special Editor’s Award – Comeback of the year
Special Editor’s Award – Sustainable technology
Book of the Year
- Oxygen for High Altitudes: 17 Biofuels ventures raise $434M in equity
- Novozymes acquires 10% of Beta Renewables for $115M; companies to jointly market, demonstrate and guarantee cellulosic biofuel solutions.
- Beta Renewables wins ACHEMA Innovation Award for biofuels technology
- Canergy taps Beta Renewables for 25M gallon advanced biofuels project in California
- Novozymes taps new CEO, aims to boost growth; Bio-ag, next-gen biofuels key
- Lux includes Beta Renewables in their top ten to watch in 2013
- In Case You Missed. Biofuels Digest’s 16 Most-Viewed Stories.
- Beta Renewable sees 2013 as banner cellulosic year, green light by 2015
- New 5-Minute Guides to Beta Renewables, BP Biofuels, INEOS Bio
- Beta Renewables: Biofuels Digest’s 5-Minute Guide
- Tranquility Base Here. The Crescentino project has landed.
- The Big Bagasse Biofuels Boom
- The Hillary Step: 7 Biofuels Contenders, 7 Routes to Scale, Who’s Near the Summit, Who Will Plant the Flag?
- Chemtex, TPG found Beta Renewables, invest €250M, to scale up cellulosic ethanol
- The Litmus Test: 8 projects for 2012 will test perceptions, reality for advanced biofuels
Category: Top Stories