Full-Time Analytical Chemistry and Metabolic Engineering: Scientist I
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
ABOUT LYGOS, INC.
Lygos is an industrial biotechnology startup spun out of the Joint BioEnergy Institute and UC-Berkeley developing microbial pathways for the fermentative production of commodity and specialty chemicals from renewable raw materials. A key focus in the lab is the development of parallelized genetic engineering techniques in yeast to accelerate hypothesis testing and more rapidly identify strains with improved small-molecule production.
The successful applicant will be responsible for identifying, developing and executing analytical methods (primarily HPLC) for the characterization of microbe metabolite profiles. In addition, the applicant will serve as a strain engineer, constructing, testing and screening genetically engineered yeast strains. The successful applicant will be expected to advance critical aspects of Lygos’ metabolic engineering program through both effective individual and team efforts. Research objectives are milestone driven and require workflows directed toward achieving these milestones.
-Identify, develop, validate, troubleshoot and execute analytical methods.
– Interpret and report results, clean and maintain instrumentation, document procedures, implement quality control specifications and advise others on test method capabilities.
– Work with team to conceive, plan, design and successfully complete metabolic engineering projects which target specific nodes of host strain metabolism and/or enzyme activities.
– Close collaboration with all aspects of Lygos’ team, including bioinformatics, fermentation and downstream processing groups to interpret data and find creative solutions to problems.
– Maintain an in-depth knowledge of advances in analytical chemistry and metabolic engineering.
– Contribute to Lygos’ intellectual property portfolio.
– Prepare technical reports, quantitative analyses, protocols and scientific presentations.
– Generation of SOPs to ensure compliance with GMPs.
– There will remain significant time and opportunity to also participate in many other aspects of Lygos’ technical efforts. The Lygos team works closely with all employees to support career development and facilitate the learning of new skill sets.
Education and Experience Requirements:
– Energetic, creative, team player with an innovative mindset and a strong desire to succeed.
– Ph.D. or Masters (with >2 years of relevant experience post-Masters) with an emphasis on analytical chemistry and a strong background in metabolic engineering, genetics or synthetic biology.
– Proven ability to develop highly specific HPLC (UV/VIS and RI) based analytical methods for a wide variety of chemical compounds. Familiarity with Shimadzu LabSolutions software is desirable.
– Technically proficient with strong organizational skills and a proven ability to manage details.
Secondary Knowledge and Skill Considerations:
– Strong verbal and written communication skills.
– Ability to deliver on projects and assignments within timeframes and budgets.
– Experience with yeast molecular biology a plus.
– Experience performing research and technology development in an industrial setting a plus.
How to ApplyPlease apply at https://lygos.workable.com/jobs/292664.
324 total views, 2 today