Full-Time Director of Fermentation
Arzeda is seeking a director of fermentation who thrives on developing and optimizing fermentation processes to achieve commercially relevant performance. Arzeda is a dynamic biotech start-up at the forefront of the synthetic biology revolution. Leveraging our core expertise in computational protein design, high-throughput screening and metabolic engineering, we design novel proteins and metabolic pathways enabling market production of bio-solutions that are sustainable, performance enhancing and create economic values for our customers and partners. A “deep tech” company, we are passionate about our work and our vision to use big compute to better engineer biology for industrial applications.
The successful candidate will have responsibility for:
• Setting up Arzeda’s multi-scale fermentation platform and leading a small team of associate scientists
• Operating fermenters at multiple scales to rapidly characterize strain performance
• Design and implement DOE-based optimization strategies to improve process conditions to rapidly improve productivity, yield and titer and develop scalable fermentation processes
• Integrate and interpret various data types across hundreds of experiments
• Interface with the Arzeda’s pathway design, strain engineering, analytics and downstream process teams to rapidly develop industrial processes
• As needed, interface with industrial partners and contract manufacturing organizations for fermentation process scale-up
PhD in chemical engineering (with emphasis on fermentation process), metabolic engineering, microbiology or equivalent with a minimum of 5+ years of experience in an industrial setting is required for this job. Demonstrated ability to develop and execute novel batch and fed-batch fermentations from microtiter plates, to flasks to bioreactors while generating actionable physiological understanding and driving strain or pathway engineering decision-making is required. Ability to rapidly analyze and interpret fermentation data is expected, as is operational familiarity with multiple industrial fermentation hosts such as yeast, Bacillus subtilis and E. coli. Experience with automated data analysis is a plus. Experience with bioreactor design or simulation, and/or database creation and maintenance are pluses. Proven ability to interact productively with protein, strain and downstream process engineers to rapidly design best-in-class industrial processes will move you to the front of the pack. Preference will be given to candidates that have a proven track record to successfully lead small and agile teams and deliver on project goals. The successful candidate must be willing to work in a small, driven environment under time pressure, be able to work autonomously and possess strong interpersonal skills. Finally, Arzeda seeks and greatly values a strong desire to learn, innovate and be continuously challenged.
How to ApplyFor further information about this position and to apply please send your CV and a cover letter to [email protected] Arzeda Corp. (www.arzeda.com) is an equal opportunity employer promoting diversity and inclusion in the workspace.
1531 total views, 3 today