Full-Time Metabolic Engineering (Directed Evolution): Scientist I
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
ABOUT LYGOS, INC.
Lygos is an industrial biotechnology startup spun out of the Joint BioEnergy Institute and UC-Berkeley developing microbial pathways for the fermentative production of commodity and specialty chemicals from renewable raw materials. A key focus in the lab is the development of parallelized genetic engineering techniques in yeast to accelerate hypothesis testing and more rapidly identify strains with improved small-molecule production.
The successful applicant will serve as a strain engineer specializing in the development and implementation of directed evolution based methods to improve target small molecule production. Strain characterization, protocol development, and exploratory research will be necessary elements of the successful applicant’s duties. The successful applicant will be expected to advance critical aspects of Lygos’ metabolic engineering program through both effective individual and team efforts. Research objectives are milestone driven (biocatalyst yield, titer, and productivity) and require workflows directed toward achieving these milestones.
– Generation of microbe libraries and the development of high-throughput selection and screening systems to assay for variants with desired properties, activities and improved production metrics.
– Work with team to conceive, plan, design and successfully complete metabolic engineering projects which rationally target specific nodes of host strain metabolism and/or enzyme activities.
– Prepare technical reports, quantitative analyses, protocols and scientific presentations.
– Close collaboration with all aspects of Lygos’ team, including analytics, bioinformatics, fermentation and downstream purification groups to interpret data and find creative solutions to problems.
– Maintain an in-depth knowledge of advances in yeast metabolic engineering and associated synthetic biology approaches.
– Contribute to Lygos’ intellectual property portfolio.
– May also be expected to supervise Research Assistants.
– There will remain significant time and opportunity to also participate in many other aspects of Lygos’ technical efforts. The Lygos team works closely with all employees to support career development and facilitate the learning of new skill sets.
Education and Experience Requirements:
– Energetic, creative, team player with an innovative mindset and a strong desire to succeed.
– Ph.D. or Masters (with >2 years of relevant experience post-Masters) with an emphasis on synthetic biology, yeast metabolic engineering or protein engineering.
– Demonstrated success in the directed evolution of proteins, metabolic pathways or whole genomes.
– Technically proficient with strong organizational skills and a proven ability to manage details.
Secondary Knowledge and Skill Considerations:
– Strong verbal and written communication skills.
– Ability to deliver on projects and assignments within timeframes and budgets.
– Experience with yeast molecular biology a plus.
– Experience performing research and technology development in an industrial setting a plus.
How to ApplyPlease apply at https://lygos.workable.com/jobs/292668.
184 total views, 1 today