Full-Time Metabolic Engineering: Scientist I
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
ABOUT LYGOS, INC.
Lygos is an industrial biotechnology startup spun out of the Joint BioEnergy Institute and UC-Berkeley developing microbial pathways for the fermentative production of commodity and specialty chemicals from renewable raw materials. A key focus in the lab is the development of parallelized genetic engineering techniques in yeast to accelerate hypothesis testing and more rapidly identify strains with improved small-molecule production.
The successful applicant will serve as a strain engineer, constructing, testing and screening genetically engineered yeast strains for improved production of biobased chemicals. Strain characterization, protocol development, and exploratory research will be necessary elements of the successful applicant’s duties. The successful applicant will be expected to advance critical aspects of Lygos’ metabolic engineering program through both effective individual and team efforts. Research objectives are milestone driven (biocatalyst yield, titer, and productivity) and require workflows directed toward
achieving these milestones.
– Work in close collaboration with team to conceive, plan, design and successfully complete metabolic engineering projects targeting specific nodes of host strain metabolism and/or enzyme activities.
– Prepare technical reports, quantitative analyses, protocols and scientific presentations.
– Close collaboration with all aspects of Lygos’ team, including DNA construction, analytics, bioinformatics, and fermentation groups to interpret data and find creative solutions to problems.
– Maintain an in-depth knowledge of advances in yeast metabolic engineering.
– Work with metabolic engineering team to develop strain, enzyme, pathway, and method-related intellectual property.
– May also be expected to supervise Research Assistants.
– There will remain significant time and opportunity to also participate in many other aspects of Lygos’ technical efforts, including: protein engineering, high-throughput screening, bioinformatics, and other areas of technology development. The Lygos team works closely with all employees to support career development and facilitate the learning of new skill sets.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
– Energetic, creative, team player.
– Ph.D. or Masters (with >2 years of relevant experience post-Masters) with an emphasis on synthetic biology, yeast metabolic engineering or metabolite transporter biology.
– Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaborations with others.
– Strong organization skills and proven ability to manage details.
SECONDARY KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL CONSIDERATIONS:
– Strong verbal and written communication skills.
– Ability to deliver on projects and assignments within time frames and budgets.
– Experience performing research and technology development in an industrial setting a plus.
How to ApplyPlease apply at https://lygos.workable.com/jobs/288013.
341 total views, 1 today