Full-Time Metabolic Engineering/Fermentation: Scientist I
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
ABOUT LYGOS, INC.
Lygos is an industrial biotechnology startup spun out of the Joint BioEnergy Institute and UC-Berkeley developing microbial pathways for the fermentative production of commodity and specialty chemicals from renewable raw materials. A key focus in the lab is the development of parallelized genetic engineering techniques in yeast to accelerate hypothesis testing and more rapidly identify strains with improved small-molecule production.
The successful applicant will bridge metabolic engineering and fermentation process development and will be responsible for constructing, testing, and screening genetically engineered yeast strains in batch fermentations. Strain characterization, fermentation development, and exploratory research will be necessary elements of the successful applicant’s duties. Research objectives are milestone driven and require workflows directed toward achieving these milestones. A strong applicant may be an individual with metabolic engineering experience who would like to develop a skillset in fermentation science.
– Collaborate with both the metabolic engineering and fermentation teams to conceive, plan, design, and successfully complete strain engineering projects and transition the engineered strains to fermentation.
– Prepare technical reports, quantitative analyses, protocols and scientific presentations.
– Collaboration with all Lygos’ teams, including metabolic engineering, fermentation, and downstream purification groups to interpret integrated process data and find creative solutions to problems.
– Maintain an in-depth knowledge of advances in yeast metabolic engineering and bioprocessing.
– Work with teams to develop strain, enzyme, pathway, and process-related intellectual property.
– May also be expected to supervise Research Assistants.
– There will remain significant time and opportunity to also participate in many other aspects of Lygos’ technical efforts, including: bioinformatics, downstream purification, and other areas of technology development. The Lygos team works closely with all employees to support career development and facilitate the learning of new skill sets.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
– Energetic, creative, team player.
– Ph.D. or Masters (with >2 years of relevant experience post-Masters) with an emphasis on synthetic biology or yeast metabolic engineering and a background in chemical engineering or bioengineering.
– Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaborations with others.
– Strong organization skills and proven ability to manage details.
SECONDARY KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL CONSIDERATIONS
– Strong verbal and written communication skills.
– Ability to deliver on projects and assignments within time frames and budgets.
– Experience developing small molecule production screening assays that are translatable from microtiter plates to shake flasks to benchtop fermenters a plus.
– Experience performing research and technology development in an industrial setting a plus.
How to ApplyPlease apply at https://lygos.workable.com/jobs/288000.
244 total views, 1 today