Full-Time Molecular Biology: Research Assistant II
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
ABOUT LYGOS, INC.
Lygos is an industrial biotechnology startup spun out of the Joint BioEnergy Institute and UC-Berkeley developing microbial pathways for the fermentative production of commodity and specialty chemicals from renewable raw materials. A key focus in the lab is the development of parallelized genetic engineering techniques in yeast to accelerate hypothesis testing and more rapidly identify strains with improved small-molecule production.
The successful applicant will work as part of a collaborative team working to engineer yeast for improved production of biobased chemicals. Aspects of the specific workflow include implementing parallelized yeast engineering workflows, and construction/testing combinatorial libraries to identify improved production hosts. Strain characterization, protocol development, and exploratory research will
be necessary elements of the successful applicant’s duties. The successful applicant will be expected to advance critical aspects of Lygos’ metabolic engineering program through both effective individual and team efforts. Research objectives are milestone driven.
– Work in close collaboration with metabolic engineering team, ensuring team is able to quickly and efficiently test new strain engineering hypotheses.
– Work with metabolic engineering team to develop strain, enzyme, pathway, and method-related intellectual property.
– Prepare technical reports, quantitative analyses, protocols and scientific presentations.
– Maintain an in-depth knowledge of advances in molecular biology.
– In addition to the candidate’s molecular biology duties, there will remain significant time and opportunity to participate in many other aspects of Lygos’ technical efforts, including: new enzyme discovery, proof-of-principle demonstration of new metabolic routes to Lygos’ target products, protein engineering, fermentation, and other areas of technology development. The Lygos team works closely with all employees to support career development and facilitate the learning of new skill sets.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
– Bachelor of Science or equivalent degree in molecular biology (or related field).
– 3+ years in-lab molecular biology experience (academic or industrial).
– Proficient in state-of-the-art cloning techniques.
– Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaborations with others.
– Strong organization skills and proven ability to manage details.
SECONDARY KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL CONSIDERATIONS:
– Strong verbal and written communication skills.
– Ability to motivate team members and support strong, healthy, collaborative laboratory culture.
– Ability to deliver on projects and assignments within time frames and budgets.
How to ApplyPlease apply at https://lygos.workable.com/jobs/288009.
307 total views, 1 today