Full-Time Preparatory Scale Chemist
Arzeda is seeking a prep-scale chemist who has a passion for developing scalable downstream processes for the industrial production of proteins and chemicals. Arzeda is a dynamic biotech start-up at the forefront of the synthetic biology revolution. Leveraging our core expertise in computational protein design, high-throughput screening and metabolic engineering, we design novel proteins and metabolic pathways enabling market production of bio-solutions that are sustainable, performance enhancing and create economic values for our customers and partners. A “deep tech” company, we are passionate about our work and our vision to use large scale computation to better engineer biology for industrial applications.
The successful candidate will have responsibility operating equipment and process steps such as for example:
• Preparative Chromatography: setup commercial unit including test and validation. Run real feed operations and perform routine maintenance, for a continuous 4-column preparative-scale chromatography unit. Prepare mass balance for feed and product fractions in Excel in clear form. Order receive unpack and store supplies as needed. Arrange for send out samples on occasion as needed for ICPOES or ICP-MS to check metals, salts, as well as N P S. Negotiate as needed / if needed low cost for these analyses.
• Ion Exchange: Setup glass cation, anion and decolorizing columns for gram and kg scale polishing of aqueous streams. Similar to DI water preparation equipment, but for product stream. Prepare mass balance of weights in and out. Monitor conductivity and pH in and out.
• Membranes: Setup and operate kg scale membrane separation flat sheet unit. Prepare mass balance of weights and components in and out. Measure membrane flux vs transmembrane pressure.
• Evaporation: Setup and operate liter scale rotovap. Prepare mass balance of weights and components in and out. Measure evaporation rate. Maintain vacuum pump.
• Chemical reactors: Setup and operate liter scale reactor. Prepare mass balance of weights and components in and out. Prepare plot and table of time course samples for reagents and products
A BS in chemical engineering or chemistry or biological engineering with demonstrated experience with process equipment operation, and ability to learn and operate techniques such as above. A minimum of 2 years of industry experience is required. Demonstrated success in working with a downstream process team or with the preparation and purification of proteins/carbohydrate/small molecules in an industrial setting is ideal. The successful candidate must be willing to work in a small, fun, result focused environment, be able to work independently, and possess strong interpersonal skills. Finally, Arzeda seeks and greatly values a strong desire to learn, innovate and be continuously challenged.
How to ApplyFor further information about this position and to apply please send your CV and a cover letter to [email protected] Arzeda Corp. (www.arzeda.com) is an equal opportunity employer promoting diversity and inclusion in the workspace.
1608 total views, 2 today