Full-Time Sr Fermentation Scientist
Description of Job: This person will work closely with Microbiology Manager and other team members to design and execute a wide range of microbial fermentation optimization experiments to develop scalable and cost-effective fermentation media and conditions and downstream processing processes to support development of new bio-pesticides, plant growth regulators and other biorational products. This individual will also be responsible for experimental data analysis and interpretation as well as preparation and presentation of reports and recommendations.
- Conduct all work in strict compliance with all applicable safety requirements, containment requirements, standard operating practices, and/or guidelines.
- Prepare and maintain master and working stocks of microbial strains following written procedures, and revise or develop preparation protocols as needed.
- Develop seed preparation, inoculation and fermentation protocols.
- Identify key factors affecting fermentation including media compositions, inoculum preparation, inoculation rate, and fermentation control parameters. Design fermentation optimization experiments based on literature, knowledge and experiences.
- Conduct bench top (250 mL) and pilot scale (7.5L, 40L) fermentation experiments to improve yield of biomass or desirable metabolites and minimize undesirable metabolites.
- Scale up/down fermentation processes from benchtop to production scales.
- Optimize or develop downstream processes as needed.
- Handle and work with a variety of microorganisms including bacteria and fungi.
- Perform microbiological, physical, microscopic, analytical, and bioassay experiments as required.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and instruments and follow GLP guidelines where required.
- Trouble-shoot contamination issues in both pilot plant and in production plants as needed.
- Provide fermentation support to manufacturing operations as needed.
- Write research reports and prepare technical presentations.
- Keep detail records of experiments and documentation.
- Practical hands-on experience with industrial fermentation of bacteria, fungi, yeast and/or mold.
- Working familiarity with various fermentors from mini-scale (250 mL) to production scale (100,000 L).
- Working knowledge or experiences in scaling-up/down fermentations from laboratory to pilot plant and to manufacturing. Experience with Sartorius ambr250 system would be a plus.
- Downstream processing knowledge or experiences in separation, concentration and purification.
- Routine working knowledge of experimental design and hands-on familiarity with data analysis using statistical tools.
- Hands-on experience in Gram staining and microscopic observations of cells and spores.
- Strong aseptic laboratory and operational skills and basic microbiology lab techniques.
- Broad knowledge of microorganisms including bacteria, actinomycetes, yeast and mold.
- Adaptable and flexible in priority and time management.
- Ability to work independently and in team environment.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and reliable team player.
Education: Ph.D. or M.S. degree in fermentation, biochemical engineering, microbiology, biotechnology or related field with a minimum of 3 years (Ph.D.) or 5 years (M.S.) of industrial fermentation experience.
Travel: 5-10% domestic
How to ApplyApply for the Sr Fermentation Scientist position by using the link below: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=0034dd07-9445-4bb3-9576-cebf8f4dbfe6&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=231283&lang=en_US&source=CC4
911 total views, 7 today