Full-Time Sr. Mechanical Engineer, Combustion Focus
Sierra Energy is committed to solving the world’s waste crisis and playing a direct and impactful part in global GHG reduction. The company’s revolutionary FastOx gasification technology converts trash into clean renewable energy and fuels. The FastOx gasifier breaks garbage down at the molecular level without burning, turning waste into an energy-dense syngas that can be used to power homes, fuel cars and replace fossil fuels as the building block of the chemical industry. Sierra Energy believes in a zero-waste future and is determined to lead the way through innovation.
Sierra Energy offers the following benefits to its full-time employees:
• No-cost for employee-only health insurance plan that includes medical, dental and vision
• 401(k) retirement plan
• Paid time off and holiday pay
• Discounted tickets to ride the Skunk Train and the Sacramento River Train
• The most important benefit is the global impact that you will make working at Sierra Energy!
Job Purpose: Support various projects and work in a collaborative multi-discipline environment to support Sierra Energy’s overall mission and goals.
Essential Job Duties/Responsibilities
• Preparation of calculations including, flammability envelope, combustion stoichiometry, gas flow velocities through nozzles and restrictions, process simulations, piping sizing, control valve and equipment sizing, pressure head calculations, and performance flow curves.
• Assures all mechanical engineering designs meet applicable codes and standards including company standards, API, ASME, NFPA as well as others used in static and rotating equipment mechanical design and development for refineries, petro-chemical and mid-stream gas processing, general industry, and utilities.
• Prepares mechanical equipment descriptions, performs equipment sizing and prepares equipment data sheets. Selects mechanical equipment. Mechanical equipment includes, but is not limited to, compressors, pumps, separators, filters, heat exchangers, and control valves and equipment
• Prepares mechanical equipment technical specifications and equipment RFQs to request budgetary pricing to support study or project work.
• Performs technical analysis of bids and review of vendor drawings.
• Prepares equipment layouts.
• Trouble-shoots existing systems in the field, determine modifications to existing systems to change performance, etc.
• Develops test plans and coordinate testing of burner modifications in pilot scale test vessels.
• Coordinates with clients, vendors and subcontractors as required.
• Other duties as required.
Education and Experience
• Must have at least ten years of mechanical design experience in refining, chemical, industrial, and gas processing or utility industry.
• Must have at least five years of experience designing combustion equipment and related support systems.
• A Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering is required
• Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
• Field experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to work well in developing new processing technologies.
• Excellent working knowledge of applicable codes such as NFPA 85 and 86 and ASME Section 8 Divisions 1 and 2, B31.3, B31.4 specifications.
• Good working knowledge of Process Safety Management.
• Excellent working knowledge of standard software including Excel and Word.
• Ability to work well in developing new processing technology.
• Prioritizing tasks and efficiently manage time.
• Ability to exercise good judgment and effectiveness in working with a high-performing, mostly technical team.
• Learns quickly and willing to ask for help.
• Skills in both written and spoken communication to support customers, teammates, and external users with a wide range of skill levels.
• Preparing, reading, analyzing, and interpreting documents.
• Ability to work in a collegial, collaborative environment.
Level of Supervision: Receive very general guidance with respect to overall objectives; usually exercise independent discretion and judgment regarding significant matters; operate within company guidelines using independent discretion or judgment to achieve assigned objectives.
Working Conditions and Travel
• Work is performed primarily at Fort Hunter Liggett, California and other sites as required, as well as the Davis corporate office.
• Must be able to gain access to U.S. military base (no felony record).
• Hands-on work is performed outdoors in the heat and sun, at elevation, and around machinery.
• Work is also performed indoors on a computer, sitting for extended periods.
• Ability to work outdoors in appropriate personal protective equipment for extended periods
• Ability to climb ladders
• Ability to work at elevated heights
• Ability to use hand tools
• Ability to reach overhead
• Ability to lift up to 30 lbs
• Ability to work on a computer
Job offer contingent on acceptable background checks, drug screens and medical exams.
How to Applyhttps://www.indeed.com/
971 total views, 4 today