Full-Time Downstream Process Engineer / Head of Downstream Processing
Industrial Microbes (iMicrobes) is hiring a Downstream Process (DSP) Engineer / Head of DSP to build our downstream team and capabilities in Alameda, CA. Candidates will be hired at the Engineer to Director level as appropriate.
We are looking for a growth-oriented engineer to manage all downstream purification efforts at iMicrobes for fermentation-derived products. In the short term, there will be hands-on work to develop a bench-scale purification of novel biopolymers, as well as developing a scalable process for this and other upcoming products.
At iMicrobes, our mission is to invent more sustainable ways of making chemicals and materials for the largest markets. We are inventing and scaling new fermentation methods that use greenhouse gases as raw materials. Our synthetic biology team has built the world’s most programmable gas-eating microorganism, capable of converting biogas, natural gas, and carbon dioxide into a wide range of products.
The DSP Engineer / Head of DSP will play a key role in a growing team, working to develop creative solutions to achieve our milestones with partners. A successful candidate will be excited to approach technical challenges and manage others in a collaborative environment.
What you’ll do:
- Develop and optimize a scalable purification process for novel biopolymers
- Optimize the chemical conversion of fermentation-derived intermediate products to final products
- Provide quality samples to partners
- Identify and onboard purification technologies for new products
- Collaborate with multiple internal departments and external consultants to produce high-quality products and samples
The ideal candidate will have some or all of these experiences and qualifications:
- Experience setting up and performing separation processes from scratch
- Experience developing a commercially scalable process
- Understanding of purification process safety and environmental impacts
- Knowledge of how to build out in-house equipment and infrastructure
- Successful transfer of a process to a CMO facility
- Experience managing a team or strong desire to grow into a management role
While the position is flexible and some work can be done remotely, there is a requirement to be on-site in Alameda, CA regularly. Must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Applicants are encouraged to read all our Core Values at imicrobes.com/careers
Ensuring a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace (DEI) where we learn from each other is central to our culture. There’s a lack of diversity in our industry and that needs to change. Industrial Microbes is deeply committed to DEI in all of our practices. Achieving our mission depends on our ability to build a positive and supportive team of people with different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. Candidates in underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer; all are welcome to apply.
Our staff are the most important part of the company. We value work-life balance, well-being, and a positive company culture. Employees have said about iMicrobes that “work culture is above and beyond.”
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Stock options
- 401(k) plan
- 4-5 weeks of paid vacation and a flexible schedule
- 12 weeks of paid family leave (PFL) for a new child and 8 weeks PFL for other qualifying events
- Monthly stipends for personal wellness and learning
- Daily lunches and snacks
iMicrobes is developing bio-manufacturing methods that can produce sustainable materials that have both reduced costs and reduced environmental impacts. Our processes use custom microbes with metabolic abilities not found in nature. We work with partners to scale our microbes to get products into the market where they can make a real impact. Learn more at imicrobes [dot] com/ careers
How to Apply
- Follow this link to our application page or go to imicrobes [dot] com/ careers
- Please tell us about your interest in downstream purification, fermentation-derived products, and team leadership in the "Cover Letter" field.
- Attach a resume
1321 total views, 2 today