Full-Time Sr. Scientist, Fungal Molecular Biology
We are looking for a motivated, hands-on Senior Scientist to drive our new recombinant protein research program. The ideal candidate is highly experienced in molecular biology and microbial strain engineering methods and excited about the opportunity to build up a new area of R&D for Eat Just. These efforts aim to expand our ability and methods to source plant proteins and to further our understanding of these proteins and their function in food products.
At Eat Just, we believe everyone deserves to eat well. Our team of world-class scientists, researchers and Michelin starred chefs created America’s fastest-growing egg brand, which is made entirely of plants, and the world’s first-to-market cultured meat made deliciously and safely from animal cells instead of slaughtered livestock. We have been recognized as one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies,” Entrepreneur’s “100 Brilliant Companies,” CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” and a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer.
For more on JUST Egg, visit: http://ju.st
For more on GOOD Meat, visit: http://goodmeat.co
What you’ll do
- Design and develop heterologous protein expression systems in microbial hosts;
- Evaluate and establish protein expression potential of engineered strains;
- Procure equipment and establish workflows for molecular cloning and lab-scale recombinant protein expression;
- Lead and train junior staff to assist in meeting project goals;
- Work collaboratively with other members of the Protein Chemistry team and the Food Science team on protein characterization and functional assays;
- Summarize and report data and method development efforts in writing and present work in collaborative meetings with other R&D groups;
- Maintenance of notebook records, sample databases, standard operating procedures, and other documentation;
- Always conduct work in a safe manner, consistent with best practices in laboratory safety and environmental stewardship guidelines;
- Maintain a safe and organized lab environment;
- Perform additional laboratory duties as required to support R&D and company projects;
Education & Experience
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Bioengineering, Biochemistry or a related field with 5+ years industry experience;
- Demonstrated expertise in expression of recombinant proteins in organisms used for industrial fermentation;
- Experience in independently designing and implementing molecular cloning strategies for variety of microbes;
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Experienced in the expression and characterization of recombinant proteins expressed in bacteria, yeast, and fungi;
- Strong experience in genetic/metabolic engineering of yeast and filamentous fungi;
- Experience in small scale fermentation in bioreactors is a plus;
- Proficiency in molecular cloning techniques, DNA assembly and vector design;
- Strong communication skills including technical writing and effective public speaking before groups and individuals from other departments; ability to effectively capture data and results;
- Strong critical thinking, time management and organizational skills;
- Excellent attention to detail, ability to maintain accurate records, and an affinity for troubleshooting;
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative, diverse, and fast-paced environment;
This is a full-time position based out of Headquarters in San Francisco.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Eat Just, Inc. participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
How to ApplyApply on our Career Site or email [email protected] (Manager of Talent with questions!)
253 total views, 8 today